How To Make Mascara Waterproof is a makeup staple that enhances your eyes and adds definition. However, there are times when you’d like to enjoy activities like swimming or showering without worrying about mascara smudging. Here are some effective tips on how to make your mascara waterproof:
1. Choose a Waterproof Mascara: The simplest way to ensure your mascara won’t smudge or run is to select a waterproof mascara. These mascaras are formulated to resist water, making them a smart choice for water-related activities.
2. Apply a Primer: Use a primer before applying mascara to create a protective barrier between your lashes and the mascara. This helps prevent smudging and running. Clear or tinted primers can also enhance the appearance of your mascara.
3. Use a Setting Spray: Incorporate a makeup setting spray into your routine. Look for a setting spray designed for use with makeup. Hold the spray about eight inches from your face and mist it over your makeup, including your mascara.
4. Avoid Rubbing Your Eyes: Rubbing your eyes can lead to smudged or smeared mascara. If you need to touch your eyes or wipe away something, do so gently using a clean tissue.
5. Remove Mascara Carefully: Waterproof mascaras can be challenging to remove, so treat them gently. Use a makeup remover specifically designed for waterproof makeup and avoid rubbing your eyes during the removal process.
Additional Insights on Waterproof Mascara:
- Waterproof mascara is less likely to smudge or run when exposed to moisture due to its oil and wax content. However, it may not be suitable for those with thin eyelashes as it can make them appear thinner and dry them out.
- Waterproof mascara formulas differ from regular mascara, typically being thicker and containing stronger waxes and polymers to resist water and sweat. Some formulations include Teflon, which can be toxic if it comes into contact with the eyes or skin.
- To make regular mascara more durable, you can explore topcoats labeled as “waterproof” or “water-resistant.” Ensure you follow the application instructions for the best results.
- Waxing regular mascara can also increase its staying power. You can add wax directly to the mascara tube or mix it with a brush while the mascara is still wet.
- Removing waterproof mascara can be challenging. If it irritates your eyes, use a specialized eye makeup remover. For a long-term solution, consider combining your mascara with a waterproof top coat for extended wear.
Read More : Should You Do Skincare Before Or After Shower
Making Mascara Waterproof:
To make regular mascara waterproof, follow these steps:
- Add Wax or Silicone: Start by incorporating wax or silicone into the mascara formula. These ingredients create a stronger bond with moisture, preventing smudging and running.
- Include Flexible Ingredients: Introduce additional ingredients to enhance the mascara’s flexibility and spreadability.
Waterproof Mascara Top Coat:
A waterproof mascara top coat can be applied over regular mascara to make it waterproof. This top coat can extend the longevity of your regular mascara, making it resistant to smudging and flaking.
Setting Spray for Waterproof Makeup:
A setting spray can help your makeup, including mascara, stay in place for extended periods. While it won’t provide complete waterproofing, it aids in maintaining your makeup’s durability.
When to Apply Setting Spray with Mascara:
If you want your eyelashes to appear longer and fuller, consider spraying setting spray before applying mascara. However, if you have exceptionally long eyelashes, wait until your mascara has dried before applying setting spray to prevent clumping.
Read More : Should I Do Skincare Before Or After Shower
In summary, achieving waterproof mascara involves selecting the right products and following specific techniques. Whether you opt for a waterproof mascara, a top coat, or setting spray, these strategies help keep your mascara looking flawless even when faced with moisture.